How do I improve the performance of Escape from Monkey Island© on my system?
You may want to make adjustments based upon the amount of memory on your 3D graphics card and the speed of your system. Choosing 16-bit color may improve performance on your system, especially when using a 4 or 8 MB video card.
To access this option:
- Open the Escape from Monkey Island© launcher.
- Select Help.
- Select Configuration Options.
- Select the Troubleshooting tab.
- Click on Force 16-bit Color.
- Click on OK to save your configuration changes.
I am experiencing long delays or skipping while the CD loads the game or cutscene.
Because the game has to load a lot of information for the level, it is quite common for it to take a few minutes to load, especially on low end systems. If you are experiencing extremely long delays while the CD loads the game, your CD-ROM may be having problems loading all of the data needed to run the game. This may be caused by any of the following:
- Your CD-ROM may not meet the minimum requirements to run the program. Verify that your CD-ROM meets or exceeds the minimum speed required in the minimum specifications for the program.
- Your CD-ROM drive may be getting old or out of alignment.
- You may have a fast CD-ROM drive that spins down when the game is not directly accessing the CD. This is most apparent when using a 16X through 48X drive.
I am experiencing long loading times.
Some CD-ROM drives may have trouble running the game when using the minimum install option. When this occurs, you may see the following problems:
- The sound may not be in-sync with the animation during the opening sequence.
- You may experience slight pauses in audio and video or during the opening sequence.
- You may experience long load times during transitions between game screens.
- You may experience excessive seek-times.
These problems are being caused by the CD-ROM drive being overburdened by the large amount of streaming files when running under the minimal install. If you experience any of these problems, we recommend that you uninstall the program, and then reinstall, choosing either the Complete or Standard Install option.
I am receiving an "Out of Virtual Memory Error" while playing the game under Windows 2000 or XP. What should I do?
When playing the game on a system with Windows 2000 or XP, you may see an "Out of Virtual Memory" error while playing or when exiting this game. This occurs in part because of the higher memory requirements for Windows 2000 and XP.
If this occurs, we recommend that you exit the game and reboot your computer to clear the memory before playing again. If the problem persists, you may want to adjust your Page file settings to allow Windows to start the game with more virtual memory.
Please consult Windows Help for further information on how to modify your Page file settings.
The game has been optimized to run in Direct3D. OpenGL support is included in the game for troubleshooting purposes only. If you experience problems playing the game in Direct3D, you can enable OpenGL on the Troubleshooting tab in the Configuration Options menu on the launcher. NOTE: OpenGL may not work correctly with your graphics card. This is especially true with older 3D graphics cards. We recommend that you check the documentation for your graphics card and the readme file for the card's latest drivers before enabling this option.
Performance Issues in Escape from Monkey Island©.
When running the game on a system that meets only the minimum requirements you may experience the following issues:
- There may be stuttering in the voice and sound.
- There may be pauses or hitching during the opening sequence.
- The sound may not be in-sync with the animation during the opening sequence and in-game movies.
- Transitions may take a long time.
- There may be slow downs in performance.
This occurs most frequently when other programs are running or if your system resources are below 70%. Freeing up system resources or memory may improve performance in the game. If you continue to experience performance issues, make sure that you selected the Complete or Custom Install option. If not, you may want to reinstall the game with one of these options. Remember to save your saved games and configuration files when you uninstall so that you do not lose your progress.
What video cards are NOT supported by Escape from Monkey Island©?
The following 3D cards were found to have significant problems when playing Escape from Monkey Island© and are not supported:
- ATI Technologies 3D Xpression+ PC2TV
- ATI Technologies 3Dpro Turbo 3D Rage II
- Hercules Stingray 128/3D 3dfx Voodoo Rush
- Intergraph Intense 3D Voodoo 3dfx Voodoo Rush
- Number Nine Revolution 3D #9 Ticket to Ride
- Number Nine Revolution IV #9 Ticket To Ride IV
- Diamond Multimedia Stealth II G460 Intel i740
- Intel Express 3D Intel i740
- Real3D StarFighter Intel i740
- Onboard Intel i810 Intel i810
- Matrox Graphics Mystique MGA-1064
- Matrox Graphics Millenium II MGA-2164
- Matrox Graphics Productiva G100 MGA-G100
- STB Nitro DVD Mpact 2
- VideoLogic Apocalypse 3D NEC PowerVR PCX
- Matrox Graphics Matrox M3D NEC PowerVR PCX-2
- NEC Technologies Power VR PCX2 NEC PowerVR PCX-2
- VideoLogic Apocalypse 3Dx NEC PowerVR PCX-2
- Creative Labs 3D Blaster PCI Rendition V1000-E
- Intergraph Intense 3D 100 Rendition V1000-E
- Sierra On-Line Screamin'3D Rendition V1000-E
- Canopus Total3D Verite Rendition V1000L-P
- Diamond Multimedia Stealth 3D 2000 Pro S3 ViRGE/DX
- STB Systems Nitro 3D S3 ViRGE/GX
- Cardex GX2 S3 ViRGE/GX2
- Number Nine 9FX Reality 772 S3 ViRGE/VX
- STB Systems Velocity 3D S3 ViRGE/VX
- SiS 3D Pro AGP SiS 6326
- Jaton Corporation Video-87 AGP Trident 3D Image 975
- Jaton Corporation Video-97 AGP Trident 3D Image 985
- ATI Rage Fury Maxx/ Dual ATI Rage 128 Pro
- STB Velocity 128/ NVIDIA RIVA 128 ZX
- VideoLogic PowerVR Neon250/ PowerVR 250
- Hercules Terminator BEAST/ S3 Savage 3D
- ExpertColor 3Dsaturn NVT5200/ Rendition V2200
- Hercules Thriller 3D/ Rendition V2200
Low-end Graphics Card Issues
When using a low-end graphics card, performance may be slow in some areas.
- You may see flickering graphics.
- Textures may be missing or they may display incorrectly.
- You may experience poor performance or lock ups after selecting any Screen Resolution above 1024x768. If this occurs, we recommend that you select a lower resolution.
Article is closed for comments.